Saturday, December 20, 2008

You must have the wrong number

  Click PLAY for sound

“Hello, is Brian there?” Someone got the wrong number.
I reply: “I’m sorry. There is no Brian here. You have the wrong number.”
But the caller is being persistent: “Is this 765-4321?”
No, that’s not my number. “No, you must have misdialed.”
“I’m sorry,”
says the caller.
“No problem. Have a good day.”
Less than five minutes later the phone rings again.
“This is Natasha Cooper.”
This time someone is trying to reach a bookstore, so I have to explain: “I am sorry. This is a private residence. You’ve got the wrong number.”
A few minutes later I get another call: “Who is this?”
I think it’s my turn to ask a question. “Excuse me, who are you trying to reach?”
The caller gives a long name.
No, this is definitely the wrong number. “Sorry, I’m afraid you got the wrong number.”
Maybe I should check the number. “What number are you dialing?”
The caller reads my number.
“That’s my number all right, but there’s no one here by that name.”
“I must have the wrong number,” says the caller apologetically. “Thank you.”
After a brief silence the phone starts ringing. Not again!
“Hello!”
“May I talk to Natasha Cooper?”
Thank heavens! It’s really for me. “This is she.”

© 2008 Natasha Cooper

Would you like to use this article? You may as long as you include the following information along with the article: Natasha Cooper, author of Power English System, helps international professionals and newcomers to America to succeed in the U.S. by learning American English and powerful communication skills. If you want tips on improving your English, then you’ll want to get Natasha’s F-R-E-E weekly Power English Minute E-zine by visiting www.englishskills.com.

No comments: