Tuesday, November 4, 2008

American English For Telephoning:
Answering the Phone

 Click PLAY for sound

My phone is ringing. I pick it up and I hear:
“May I talk to Natasha Cooper?”
How do I say that it’s I?
"This is Natasha Cooper."
Or, most often, in the third person.
“This is she.” Or: “Speaking.”
And if the call is for someone else in the family?
“Just a moment.”
Wondering who’s calling?
“May I ask who’s calling?’
And what if the family member they are trying
to reach is out? Then I say:
“He (she) is not in right now.”
And ask if I can help.
“Is there something I can help you with?”
If not, I offer to take a message.
“Would you like to leave a message?”
When names are hard to understand, I ask
the caller to spell.
“Could you spell that for me?”
Didn’t catch something? No problem, I just ask to repeat.
“Could you repeat that, please?”
And I always make sure that I got it right.
“Let me read this back to you.”
Especially phone numbers.
“Let me double-check your phone number.”
Then I promise to pass on the message.
“I’ll give him (her) the message.”
Or:
“I’ll ask him (her) to call you.”
If the matter is urgent, I try to help out.
“You can call him (her) at work.”
And if the work number is not available, I offer their cell phone number.
“Would you like his (her) cell phone number?”
I bet I’d make a good receptionist.

© 2008 Natasha Cooper

Would you like to use this article? You may as long as you include the following information along with the article: Natasha Cooper, author of Power English System, helps international professionals and newcomers to America to succeed in the U.S. by learning American English and powerful communication skills. If you want tips on improving your English, then you’ll want to get Natasha’s F-R-E-E weekly Power English Minute E-zine by visiting www.englishskills.com.

No comments: